RABBI SHAUL OSADCHEY’S “BIG BAD CHAROSET”
- ½ cup pecans (pieces or halves)
- 1 tsp dried ancho chili pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch Salt
- ½ cup chopped dried mango
- ½ cup chopped dried cherries
- ½ cup diced jicama
- ¼ cup pure pomegranate-mango juice
- 1 ½ tsp lemon juice
- 1 tblsp honey
- 2 oz tequila (or substitute Slivovitz Plum Brandy)
- 1 tsp finely grated orange zest
- Mix dried ancho pepper, cumin, paprika, and salt in a bowl.
- Roast pecans in a heavy medium skillet until lightly toasted and fragrant, 4-5 minutes.
- Toss pecans in bowl with spice mixtur
- Return pecans to skillet and toss briefly to coat.
- Dice mango, cherries, and jicama and place in a bowl.
- Add pomegranate juice, lemon juice, and honey to dried fruit and jicama. Let stand for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a sauce pan, add orange peel and tequila; sauté until orange zest is soft and alcohol is burned off.
- Combine spiced pecans, dried fruit mixture, and orange zest.
- Chill and serve when ready.
Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!