- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups onion chopped
- 1/4 cup garlic chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 4 eggs beaten
- 4 cups pitted green or black brined olives thoroughly drained, chopped and pitted
- 2 to 4 tbsp water (optional)
- In a medium saute pan, heat one-fourth cup of oil and sauté the onion and garlic till golden, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cumin. Beat in the eggs and onion and garlic mixture with a fork. Stir in the olives and add water, as needed, if the mixture seems too thick.
- Heat one-fourth cup of the remaining oil in the pan and use a small cup or soup ladle to form 3 to 4 latkes. Fry on both sides till golden. Repeat until all the batter is used, adding additional oil as needed for frying. Transfer the latkes to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Serve with thick yogurt or sour cream.
- Each of 8 servings: 432 calories; 8 grams protein; 34 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams fiber; 30 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 104 mg. cholesterol; 1,506 mg. sodium.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!