Matza Brei Deluxe
- 5 pieces matzo, preferably Manischewitz brand
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- zest 1/4 orange
- zest 1/4 of lemon
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/8 cup matzo meal
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp orange blossom water
- 3/4 tsp pomegranate molasses
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup egg whites at stiff peaks (about 3 eggs)
- Canola oil as needed
- Soak the matzo in the milk for 15 minutes. Break up into 1-inch pieces with your fingers —they will be random shapes, which is okay. Squeeze the excess milk from the matzo.
- Take the drained matzo and put into a mixing bowl. Discard the milk.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the whipped egg whites and the oil. Fold egg whites in last, right before you are cooking the matzo brei, so that they remain light in texture.
- Heat a large cast-iron pan or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add a light amount of canola oil in order to cover the bottom of the pan.
- When the oil is hot, use an ice cream scoop or ladle to drop about 2 ounces of mixture into the oil.
- Cook until golden brown on each side and cooked throughout, approximately 4 minutes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!