Sweet Potato, Parsnip, and Turnip Latkes
- 1 sweet potato peeled and thickly slided
- 1 turnip peeled and halved
- 2 parsnips peeled
- 1 medium onion peeled and halved
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Canola oil
- In the bowl of a food processor or using a box grater, shred the sweet potato, turnip, parsnips, and onion. Transfer to a cheesecloth or kitchen towel lined colander, and wring out the moisture over a bowl. Let it sit for about 10 minutes, then drain any excess liquid, leaving any starch that may be left at the bottom of the bowl.
- Transfer the shredded potato mixture into the bowl and add the flour, eggs, salt, and pepper. Use your hands to mix.
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees F and line a shallow dish or baking pan with paper towels. Heat a skillet (a heavy cast iron or non-stick pan works well) over medium high heat with about 1/4 cup of oil. Drop about two tablespoons of the sweet potato mixture into the pan and use a fork to spread into about 3-inch pancakes. Let it crisp a few minutes per side and transfer to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with a little salt if desired.
- Keep latkes warm in the oven until serving. But they''re best eaten right away and served with a dollop of sour cream.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!