Smokey Sweet Potato Latkes
- 1 large swett potato peeled and grated
- ½ large yellow or sweet oinion grated
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1/3 tsp cornstarch
- 4 tbsp canola oil divided
- plain greek yogurt or unsweetened applesauce to serve
- Heat the oven to 400F.
- In a large colander, combine the sweet potato and onion. Set over the sink.
- Bring about 4 cups of water to a boil. Slowly pour the water over the potato mixture, then let it drain and cool until easily handled, 8-10 minutes. A handful at a time, place the sweet potato-onion mixture in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze to extract as much liquid as possible, then transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg, salt, cumin and paprika, then stir into the sweet potato-onion mixture. Sprinkle the cornstarch over the mixture and combine well. The mixture should be moist but not wet. If needed, blot excess moisture and add a little more flour.
- Use 2 tbsp of the oil to evenly coat a rimmed baking sheet. Divide the sweet potato-onion mixture into 16 mounds (each about 2 tbsp) on the prepared baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between them. Use the bottom of a glass or a measuring cup to flatten each.
- Using a pastry brush and the remaining 2 tbsp of oil, brush the tops of the latkes with oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!