Mediterranean Chickpea Latkes
- 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas) rinsed and drained
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 3 large eggs
- 6 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- pomegranate seeds (optional)
- Blend garbanzo beans, garlic, and rosemary in processor to coarse paste. Add eggs, 6 tablespoons water and extra-virgin olive oil; blend until smooth. Add flour, cumin, salt, pepper, and baking powder and blend. Pour batter into bowl.
- Heat 6 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches, drop batter by heaping tablespoons into hot oil. Cook until golden, about 1 minute per side. Using slotted spatula, transfer latkes to paper towels to drain. Add more oil to skillet as necessary and make sure it is hot before adding more batter.
- Transfer latkes to plates. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds, if desired, and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!