Golden Panko Latkes with Sour Cream and Chives
- 6 Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and grated (about 2 lbs)
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1-1 ½ tsp white pepper
- 4 tbsp chives finely chopped, or more to taste
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp pastry flour (or substitute 1 tbsp AP flour + 1 tbsp cake flour)
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup Canola oil
- Wash, peel and (medium) grate Yukon gold potatoes. Squeeze and drain excess potato liquid once grated.
- Add salt, white pepper, and 3 tablespoons of finely chopped chives. In a separate bowl beat 2 eggs till frothy.
- Add eggs to potato mixture. Add in flour and mix thoroughly. Form into patties as noted below and cover with the panko breadcrumbs so you no longer see the potato.
- Before you begin the frying process, mix the sour cream together with another tablespoon of the finely chopped chives and refrigerate.
- Using a large skillet, heat oil which should cover the bottom of skillet and 1/2 way up the sides of the patties. It should quickly fry but not so hot it burns. When forming the patties they should be about 3 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick. Once you've cooked the potato pancakes serve hot immediately along with the cold sour cream & chive mixture.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!