Doughnuts with Grapefruit-Vanilla Jelly
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 ½ cups fresh grapefruit juice
- ¼ cup liquid pectin
- 1 vanilla bean split lengthwise
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus more for bowl
- ½ cup apple juice
- 1 ¼ oz envelope active dry yeast
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more
- 2 tbsp plus 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp grapefruit zest finely grated
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Vegetable oil (for deep-frying)
- Combine sugar, grapefruit juice, and pectin in a large saucepan; scrape in seeds from vanilla bean.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to high; whisk until mixture boils vigorously, about 6 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a shallow glass baking dish. Let cool completely at room temperature. Cover, and chill until set, at least 2 hours.
- DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 week ahead. Keep chilled.
- Lightly coat a large bowl with olive oil. Heat juice in a small saucepan over medium heat until an instant-read thermometer registers 110°–115°. Remove from heat; whisk in yeast. Let stand until mixture becomes foamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix 3 1/2 cups flour, 2 Tbsp. sugar, eggs, grapefruit zest, salt, 2 Tbsp. olive oil, and apple-juice mixture on medium speed until a sticky dough forms, 4–5 minutes. Transfer to oiled bowl. Turn to coat; cover with a kitchen towel. Let dough rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Gently roll out dough on a floured surface to ½” thickness. Cut out rounds with 1 ½” biscuit cutter. Place on lightly floured baking sheets. Let rise until doubled, 30–40 minutes.
- Place a wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet; set aside. Pour remaining 1 cup sugar into a wide shallow bowl; set aside. Attach a deep-fry thermometer to side of a heavy pot. Pour vegetable oil into pot to a depth of 2" and heat over medium heat to 350°. Working in batches, carefully add doughnuts to oil. Fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side, allowing oil to return to 350° between batches. Using a slotted spoon, transfer doughnuts to rack; let drain for 2 minutes. Roll in sugar in bowl to coat.
- Transfer grapefruit jelly to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4" metal tip or squeeze bottle. Pipe a little more than 1 tsp. jelly into each doughnut. Serve immediately.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!