Rabbi Shaul Osadchey’s Matza Brei Florentine
- 4 sheets matza
- 4 large eggs
- 1 bunch fresh spinach leaves
- 4 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 4-6 oz grated Swiss cheese
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- Crumble matza into a large collander placed over a bowl.
- Hold collander under running cold water until matza is moist and softened but not completely disintegrated (about 15 seconds).
- Heat butter in a 10-12” skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté mushrooms until they release their juices. Add spinach and sauté until tender.
- Transfer to bowl with matza crumbs, then add eggs and salt and mix gently with a fork.
- Return skillet to stove and heat butter over moderately high heat.
- Form matza mixture into patties and drop into skillet.
- Cook until matza brei patties have begun to crisp, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve hot
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!