Parsnip and Spinach Gratin
- 4 tbsp margarine
- 2 large onions chopped into ½” dice
- ½ cup flour
- 1 10 oz box frozen chopped spinach defrosted, squeezed dry
- ¼ cup mayo
- ¼ cup non-dairy sour cream
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 28 oz chicken broth
- 3 lbs large parsnips peeled and thinly sliced into ¼” slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13” oven-to-table ceramic baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt the margarine in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 6-7 minutes, until wilted and beginning to turn golden. Add the spinach and sauté for 3 minutes longer, until most of the liquid is out of the spinach.
- Add the flour to make a roux that will thicken the sauce. Stir until the flour is mixed into the other ingredients. Add the sour cream, mayo, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the broth, stirring until smooth. Bring to a simmer. The sauce will thicken slightly.
- Ladle a layer of spinach sauce into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread a layer of tightly overlapping parsnips. Top with a layer of sauce. Repeat, alternating parsnips and spinach sauce. There should be a total of 3 layers of sauce and 2 layers of parsnips, with the sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with the paprika. Bake uncovered for 1 ½ hours.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!