Lemon Ricotta Matzo Brei
- 4 sheets matzo
- 1 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (Kosher for Pesach)
- 2 tbs caster (super-fine) sugar
- zest Meyer lemon
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- Break up the matzo into medium chunks and put them in a bowl.
- Heat the milk until warm and pour it over the matzo, stirring to make sure the matzo is soaking evenly.
- Let it sit until the matzo is softened (a noodle like texture) but not mushy.
- Drain and gently squeeze out any extra milk.
- Whisk the eggs in another bowl with the vanilla, sugar and lemon zest.
- Pour the egg mixture over the moistened matzo, and add the ricotta cheese.
- Stir to combine.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Add the butter and melt, waiting until the sizzling subsides.
- Add the matzo mixture and lower the heat to medium low.
- Flatten out the top, then cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Flip the Matzo Brei over and turn up the heat to medium.
- Cook uncovered until the second side is browned.
Slice the Matzo Brei up into wedges and serve with lemon and a generous dusting of powdered sugar on top.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!