LEKACH- HONEY CAKE
- 2 cups honey, preferably dark
- ¾ cup black coffee, brewed double strength
- 3 tbsp mild vegetable oil, preferably peanut oil
- 4 extra large eggs
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 3 ½ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- grated zest one orange
- grated zest one lemon
- 10-12 whole blanched almonds
- Preheat the oven to 325° F. Generously butter/grease a 9 ½ x 5 ½ inch loaf pan. Cut wax paper or parchment paper to fit the bottom and sides of the pan, and butter one side. Place the unbuttered side of the paper against the pan.
- Put the honey in a heavy 3 quart saucepan and slowly bring to a boil over low heat. Set the honey aside and allow it to cool, then stir in the coffee and vegetable oil.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl with the sugar until light and thick, and until the mixture forms a ribbon when drizzled into the bowl. Stir in the honey-coffee mixture. Resift the flour, along with the salt, baking soda and powder, cinnamon and ginger, into the batter. Add the citrus zests and fold the flour and zests in gently.
- Pour the batter into the lined pan. If you like, make a pattern on top with the almonds.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours. Let the cake cool in the pan, then invert it with the paper intact (peel off just what is necessary each time you slice the cake). This cake will develop more flavor if it is left uncut for 24 hours. It keeps well in an airtight container at a cool room temperature for 2 weeks.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!