Indian Sweet Potato Curry Latkes
- 1 large large sweet potato peeled and coarsely grated
- ½ cup white flour
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp Salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 3 large eggs beaten
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil for frying
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugars, baking powder, cayenne pepper, curry powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Add the eggs and milk to the dry ingredients to make a stiff batter. Add the potatoes and mix (the batter should be moist but not runny; it too stiff, add a little more milk).
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons oil in a large frying pan until hot (1- 1 /12 minutes). Drop two heaping tablespoons of the potato batter into the hot pan and flatten it down with the back of a spatula. Continue in this manner until there are 3-4 latkes in the pan.
- Cook the latkes over medium-high heat for several minutes until they are golden brown on each side.
- Place fried latkes onto a plate covered with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with a dash of cinnamon and cubed mango chunks or with a dollop of apple sauce and/or sour cream.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!