- eggs, separated
- 3 cups finely ground hazelnuts (for filberts, use about 9 oz. ground)
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- grated rind of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 bar semi-sweet chocolate
- canola oil and matza meal for pan
- 9″ round springform pan
- Beat egg yolks until they are foamy, add lemon rind, then beat in sugar until creamy. Add nuts. Beat egg whites until stiff (peaks in the foam will stay when you turn off your beater).
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the nut mixture. The nut mixture will be a little stiff but it will loosen up with careful folding in of the egg whites.
- Coat the pan with oil and matza meal. Pour batter into the pan. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour. Let cake cool off.
- Melt the chocolate, add a teaspoon of canola oil (to keep it just a bit soft for cutting), and spread it over the cake.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!